Thursday, October 23, 2008

Apricot Sesame Marinade for Fish

artsy-foodie fishing

My oldest child used to enjoy eating fish until he was about 3. Then, all of a sudden he found it too fishy and mushy. I struck a bargain with him: he had to try one bite. If he didn't like it, he didn't have to eat any more. I've found that picky fish-eaters do better with the firm texture and the mild taste of Tilapia, Mahi Mahi and Halibut. Flavoring the fish is key.

fish marinating happily

This recipe is so easy to put together and yields wonderful results. It goes really well with any white fish or salmon fillet. Assemble it in the morning or half an hour before dinner; either way turns out delicious.

fish marinade

Apricot Sesame Marinade for Fish (coats 2-3 lbs of fish fillets)
This marinade is equally delicious over some firm tofu.

1/4 cup fruit sweetened apricot jam
1/4 cup GF dijon mustard
1 tablespoon GF soy sauce
2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds

2 lbs of fish fillets, skin removed


fish in marinade

Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together. In a lasagna dish, coat the fish fillets with the marinade. Refrigerate until ready to use. The fish can be grilled or baked (place an oiled cookie-sheet) until inner temperature reaches 145F. If I bake it, I end the last few minutes by broiling it so it can caramelize on top.

Artsy-Foodie's Tip:
Leftovers make a great sandwich. Spread hummus on two slices of bread, add a lettuce leaf, a few tomato slices and the left-over fish and enjoy!






More delicious marinated dishes:
Cilantro Thai Grilled Chicken
Pomegranate Marinated Tofu

16 comments:

Robin said...

Alexa- This fish post is beautiful! I LOVE the artwork at the top- the picture is precious. I enjoy any marinade with dijon. In my house we like salmon- or pink chicken!

RecipeGirl said...

What a delicious looking marinade. I'm always looking for new things to do with fish. We eat a lot of it around here in SoCal. My kiddo is pretty good about it actually. He'll eat all fish (except lobster of all things!)

Stacey Snacks said...

Alexa,
I will bookmark this easy recipe.
Someone just gave me a nice French jar of apricot preserves and I wasnt sure what to do with it!
Now I know!
Thanks for the recipe.
Stacey

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

This looks like a great marinade! I saw some black sesame seeds yesterday, but didn't buy them! Doh! Another thing to add to the list. ;)

Alexa said...

Robin Sue,
Pink chicken... very clever. :-)

Recipegirl,
Two of my kids like fish, two of them could do without... Now that they are older, they all eat it as long as it is well flavored and mild.

Stacey,
I'm glad you liked the recipe. Enjoy!

Jeanine,
I use black sesame seeds a lot because they taste great and are so pretty to look at. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yum! That looks delicious. I am like your then 3 year old. I don't like "fishy" fish.

I just discovered Barramundi (sp?) it is an Australian fish that is so buttery good and firm and definitely NOT fishy!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

This sounds really good, I am sure I could incorporate it into a veggie meal :)

rachel said...

oooh looks nice and flavorful. I love the illustrations.

Deeba PAB said...

I love the artistic twist the cook in you has Alexa...it's heart-warming & passionate. I'm seriously fish challenged & have the same problems like your lad when he was 3.This looks wonderful & tempts me to explore the fishy world again!

CECIL said...

I can't help but wonder, are you some sort of illustrator? Books, cards?!! :) Because I just loveee your drawings. I draw daily but can never draw such adorable illustration.

You are right on the spot about fish picky eater. My cousin only eats firm fish too! I love Halibut. And such great marinade and healthy.

Alexa said...

biz,
I have never tasted this Australian fish. I would love to... I'll have to look for it.

Holler,
It's great on tofu or pour a little bit as a sauce for a white bean puree. Yummy...

Rachel,
Thanks!!! :-)

Deeba,
The marinade is really good on fish but you could also try it on chicken or tofu. :-)

Cecil,
Thank you for your kind words. I am an inspiring illustrator. My background is mostly in paintings and mixed media. This blog is an outlet for all the things I love to do, cooking and art. :-)

test it comm said...

This sounds like a really nice way to enjoy fish. It looks good!

Anonymous said...

Alexa, my son really enjoys fish, but he's so fickle, that I'm waiting for him to turn his nose up on it too.

The marinade sounds so simple and good, I'll save it next time we have fish. Thank you!

Your illustrations are delightful!

Mary Ann said...

That's funny. I never considered myself a picky fish eater, but my favorites are tilapia, mahi-mahi, and halibut. I guess maybe I am picky about fish, but my family loves those kinds too, so I serve them often. I am always on the look out for new ways to flavor fish. This sounds perfect!

Anonymous said...

Alexa,
can we barbecue the fish with this marinade?

Chamila

Alexa said...

Chamila,
Yes, you should be able to. Just make sure the grill is well oiled and watch carefully because it will caramelize fast. If you use charcoil, put it a little bit on the side not in the hottest area of the grill.
Hope this helps!
Alexa

Related Posts with Thumbnails