Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Perfect Way to Start The New Year

potatospinachquicheplated

Years ago, when we lived closer, my sister and I used to get our families together for New Year's Eve. We'd eat, drink, and play board games. In the morning, my sister and I would prepare a brunch: a cozy way to usher in a new beginning. I miss those yearly rituals.

My sister lives too far for that sort of thing these days, but my husband and I still carry on the tradition with our kids: a special dinner preceded and followed by various board games. In the morning we go for a long walk, eat a wonderful brunch and phone our extended families to express season's greetings.

I am always on the look out for new dishes to serve on the very first day of the year. This crustless quiche is perfect for any meal. It makes great use of leftovers. A mixture of pre-roasted potatoes and sauteed spinach mingles beautifully with cottage cheese and eggs to form the perfect brunch center piece.

potatospinachquiche


Potato Spinach Crustless Quiche (serves 6-8)

1 1/2 cups sauteed chopped spinach
1 1/2 cups roasted potatoes, diced size
16 oz lowfat cottage cheese
1/2 cup egg whites
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup shredded cheese (mild cheddar or italian mix)
3 tablespoons GF breadcrumbs


Preheat oven 375F
Oil a ceramic lasagna dish

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to the baking dish. Bake for 1 hour. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.




potatospinachquichebite

More dishes for a New Year's Brunch:
Quinoa Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Eggs with Asian Tomato Salad

16 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

I love crustless quiche.
Good way to start my DIET in 2009!!
Happy New Year!
Stacey

Stephanie said...

Wow, this looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing this recipes, as well as your traditions.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So lovely that you keep the traditions alive.

Happy New Year!!

Peter M said...

Alexa, this quiche looks so appetizing...I would even add some Feta in here (biased).

Dewi said...

Just a quick note to wish you a happy new year. I wish you and your love one always in a good health, lot's of luck and all beautiful things come in year 2009.
Best wishes,
Elra

Mary Ann said...

I know that this is going to be delicious. I am totally craving the spaghetti squash quinoa bake. I am willing to come over anytime and play games, as long as I get to eat too.

test it comm said...

Nice looking crustless quiche! Quiche leftovers are great to take to work for lunches during the week.

Robin said...

Hi Alexa- What a delicious quiche! We are lovers of quiche in my house and will have to try this out soon. Perfect for the cold days we are having right now. It went from 59 degrees to 30 over night! Oh Well! I love the new picture of you in your winter cap- very sweet! Have a Happy New Year!!

Sophie said...

That's a really beautiful tradition. My hubby and I have only been married for a year and I'm always trying to look out for/come up with traditions we can start, I'll have to remember this one :). Yes, I'd love to start the new year with this savory and delicious breakfast quiche!

Anonymous said...

Sounds perfect.. Never really cared much for buttery quiche crust.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

I love quiche and this dish looks delicious! Happy New Year!

Marysol said...

Looks fabulous!
You know I always omit the crust whenever I make quiche. Well, almost always. What a great way to start the New Year.

rachel said...

Happy New Years Alexa! Here's to a year full of flavor, exploration and discovery.

Deeba PAB said...

What a brilliant beginning to the new year Alexa, & interesting too. Crustless makes it better...I love the ingredients. YUM!

veggie belly said...

i love spinach! this quiche looks gorgeous! happy new year :)

Rico said...

I thought it was quiche...I really love this one great combo of ingredients and without the pastry ...hehe (less fattening) well done, I am all for that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails