Thursday, November 13, 2008

Picture Perfect Edamame Millet Bowl

edamame millet platter

What is it with little children and mixed ingredients? If I serve my six
year-old millet, carrots, seaweed and cilantro, he will happily eat them as long these foods are not mixed together. However, if I dare to serve them in a one-dish-meal: it's all over. I know he will outgrow this aversion eventually. It's fascinating though--it's like an artist refusing to mix paint because it alters the purity of each color.

edamame millet close-up

I have obviously outgrown this tendency since I love one-dish-meals. I play around with the colors, textures and flavors. It's comfort food to me. This edamame millet bowl is so delicious. The millet provides a great change from rice. You can use whatever seasonal vegetable you have on hand. Try to contrast the textures and sweetness/saltiness ratio and you'll have a winning dish. The secret, frankly, is the sauce which is generously poured over the mixture.

edamame millet served




Edamame Millet Bowl with Ginger Miso Sauce (serves 8)
Feel free to use your own mix of vegetables such as: baby spinach leaves, asparagus, and corn. Cook your millet the same way you would brown rice. I like to saute the grains in a little bit of olive oil for a minute or so and then add the water (1:2 millet to water ratio) and salt to taste. Then, simmer covered for about 35 minutes or until the water has been absorbed and then fluff with a fork.


4 cups of cooked millet
2 cups shelled edamame, steamed
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup cooked pumpkin, cubed
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup baked tofu, diced
1 sheet of roasted nori seaweed, sliced into thin strips


Sauce:
1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon GF soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons white miso paste

Toasted seeds for garnish

Mix all the warm ingredients in a large bowl or platter and set aside.

In small pot, under medium heat, bring to a boil the ginger, orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes, stirring every once in a while. Turn the heat off. Put the miso in a small bowl and add about 1/4 cup of the orange/ginger sauce. Mix well until fully combined. Add miso mixture to the rest of the pot and mix well. Pour sauce over the millet edamame mixture. Mix to combine, garnish with sesame seeds and serve.



Other great tofu recipes:
Tofu Saute in Peanut Sauce
Pomegranate Marinated Tofu
Caramelized Tofu

14 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

It must be Thurs. Right on schedule!
What's with HUSBANDS and mixed ingredients?. Husbands are like children. no?
It's nice that you feed your kids healthy foods, instead of chicken fingers all the time!
Stacey

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I understand how your son feels with the dish being mixed up. I kinda experience the same with my husband and he demands that I dont mess up with his food. This is so awesome, I guess I can try this but for a little shopping first. Serves 8??? Hope something is yet left over there!!!

Dewi said...

Wow, what a wonderful and extremely healthy meal, Alexa!

Dewi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Ann said...

This is so funny. My hubby is the one who doesn't like his food mixed at all and I am not sure if he would eat certain things separately either. We had millet the other night too, but your version looks much tastier. Especially with the edamame and tofu. You are always serving up my favorite things. Beautiful!

veggie belly said...

Just 5 minutes ago my husband handed me a bowl of edamame with seasoned salt and asked "do you want some?". And I said "ofcourse, who can say no to edamame?!". Your dish looks hearty and delicious. Gorgeous picture!

test it comm said...

That looks healthy and tasty. I am going to have to look for some millet to try.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Got something for you check out at http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com/2008/11/spicy-vegetable-kurma.html

Alexa said...

Ramya,

I have a teenager who eats for 4 people... :-)
We did have leftovers for lunch the next day... it was sooo good!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I used to do the same thing as a child, but you do grow out of it. It took someone else's mum to make a salad mixed, instead of in neat little piles for me to decide I liked it that way too :)

Rico said...

Excellent as always, is a pleasure to visit your blog always nice and fresh ideas, and a multitude of colourful dishes tasty too, as I tried a few. I just love millet.

http://ricocoffeeshop.blogspot.com

Anne Stesney said...

I was that weird kid who loved to mix all her food together. Wait-did I say "was"? Considering your pix made my mouth water, I'm very much that kid today.

This would be an amazing lunch to bring to work.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm... I wish I had a bowl of this right now! The millet sounds so interesting, and I've been having such a yen for pumpkins and squashes. Thanks for sharing! I look forward to trying this out.

bee said...

i have all the ingredients for this sauce. will try it soon. so nori sheets can be used just like that? wow. i have those too. thanks a lot for these tips, alexa.

Related Posts with Thumbnails