Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Amaranth Black Bean Patties

amaranth patties

I am not sick of amaranth yet.  This will, however, be the last post on this minuscule seed for awhile. 


I am on a mission to make my life both more nutritious and convenient.  My children and I are in school all day.  We all prefer brownbagging over scrambling to find something that we consider acceptable outside the home.  These amaranth patties are easy to take with you.  Pack them alongside a vegetable salad and you are in for a delicious lunch.  They taste great hot off the griddle or at room temperature the next day.  Here are some other make-ahead dishes you might enjoy at school or at work:

Don't miss a single recipe--subscribe to Artsy-Foodie using the tool at the top right of the screen and receive Artsy-Foodie in a convenient email newsletter.

    amaranth tower

    Amaranth Black Bean Patties (makes 12)

    2 cups of cooked amaranth*, cooled enough to handle
    1 cup cooked black beans
    2 tbsp green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
    1/2 cup Mexican cheese, shredded 
    1/4 cup egg whites
    2 tbsp pepitas (optional)
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    Olive oil for griddle

    *The amaranth should be cooked according to packaging.  I use a 1:1 water to amaranth ratio. Otherwise it cooks like rice:  simmer covered for about 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and set aside for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.

    • Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl
    • making amaranth patties
    • Take 1/4 cup of the mixture and form into a patty.  Continue with the remainder of the mixture until until it is all gone.
    • Heat a griddle on medium-high (400F)
    • Coat with olive oil
    • Gently place patties on the griddle without overcrowding.
    • Fry patties for about 6-8 minutes on each side.  Handle them carefully when the first side is ready to be flipped so that they don't fall apart.  They should be golden and feel somewhat firm when tapped with the back of the spatula.
    • Serve right away with some guacamole or fresh salsa or let cool and refrigerate
    Printable Recipe

      12 comments:

      Usha said...

      Loved this combination, looks fabulous !

      ♥peachkins♥ said...

      it looks fantastic

      maybelle's mom said...

      loving the amaranth. bring more on.

      Robin, David, Simon and Leo said...

      Alexa, these patties are beautiful. Great idea to eat them at room temp, wouldn't have thought to pack them for lunch but it sounds like they travel well. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the next theme, we've loved all the amaranth posts!

      Stephanie said...

      Hey Alexa!

      I tried the patties and they are really yummi, and such great food for taking with you! Thanks for the recipe. I´m also loving the amaranth posts.

      It´s so nice that you are back!

      Alexa said...

      Usha, peachkins, maybelle's mom,
      Thanks for your visit and comments.:-)

      Vegetable Matter,
      I'm so glad you liked the patties and the amaranth posts. I had fun with this theme. It's always nice to hear feedback. Thank you!

      Steffi,
      So nice to hear from you! I am happy that you had a chance to try them. Thank you for your kind words.

      MaryMoh said...

      Love these patties. They look healthy and delicious....yum. I would love them with chili sauce. Thanks for sharing.

      Maryam said...

      this looks delicious

      Table Talk said...

      Salsa and guacamole with these sounds fantastic!

      Mary Ann said...

      I just made these for dinner tonight. They are really delicious. Thank you!

      Izzi said...

      Finally an amaranth recipe that I love + low GI! (i will check out your other amaranth posts soon!)

      I used adzuki beans instead of the black beans, and I skipped the cheese.

      The main mistake I made was to cook amaranth with too much water (although the packaging said 3:1, I did 1.5:1, but I should've taken your 1:1 ratio), so they turned out more like little crepes...and therefore harder to flip over......but for a first attempt they turned out so delicious (although not much pretty) that i ate half of them then and there and my stomach felt full for four hours later! I froze the rest (and they defrost easily).

      Lovely recipe....just warning not to make your amaranth too runny or else you get crepes.

      Oh, and I also added ground linseed. Adding pepitas was a big hit as well!

      Sugarmag said...

      I stumbled across your blog while searching for recipes for amaranth. I just bought some and I'm excited to try it, thank you so much for these posts!

      Related Posts with Thumbnails