Thursday, January 7, 2010

Amaranth Continued...Spinach Amaranth Herb Salad

amaranth salad in bowl

In continuing with my Amaranth exploration, here's a lovely, refreshing salad that will bring some much needed sunshine to gray days of Winter.  My family loved this creation so much they asked me to make it again before they were even done with the first batch.  I've put it on my list of convenient lunches to take with me to school this quarter.  I might throw in some more vegetables and some sheep feta.  This way I can feel good that I am eating  healthy even when away from home.

amaranth salad 2

Spinach Amaranth Herb Salad (serves 6)
Inspired by Tabouleh, this salad is refreshing and delicious.
As an alternate instead of the fresh herbs you can use 1/4 cup of dry Ghormeh Sabzi herb mix (available at middle eastern grocery stores) but still include the fresh chopped spinach.


2 cups amaranth
2 cups of water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 garlic clove, minced or crushed
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups finely chopped baby spinach

  • Simmer covered on a low flame for 12 minutes.
  • Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
  • In a small bowl mix: olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, garlic and chopped herbs.
  • Mix the salad dressing in with the cooked amaranth and chopped baby spinach
  • Refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavors blend together.

Printable recipe

8 comments:

GF Gidget said...

Delicious! I made a version of Tabbouleh with Buckwheat. I love your idea of incorporating Amaranth. You are always so inspiring!

Marysol said...

Alexa, just looking at the list of wonderful ingredients made me feel virtuous. But the photos have given me an even bigger craving.

Amaranth looks like Quinoa, the latter of which I've enjoyed often, so I can't imagine not falling in love with Amaranth, especially prepared your way, full of herbs and spices.

I'll be paying a visit to my local Middle Eastern market.

Btw, I also want that bowl.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely salad with amaranth! I love the pictures!

Alexa said...

GF Gidget,
Thanks! Amaranth is so easy and it's a great replacement for couscous or bulgur.

Marysol,
My daughter gave me the bowl for my bday in December. I love getting dishes... I'm easy to shop for. :-)

5 star foodie,
Thanks so much stopping by. I'm glad you liked the post.

Usha said...

I haven't yet tried amaranth but it remains at the top of my list of things to try soon ! This is such a fantastic salad... Belated new year wishes to you, have a wonderful 2010!

Robin, David, Simon and Leo said...

The amaranth looks gorgeous, almost iridescent, in your pics. Great salad idea.

Veggie Belly said...

this is such a beautiful salad!

Mother Rimmy said...

I've never tried amaranth, but I'm a big fan of quinoa. Sounds like I would like it too. I'll have to try your salad. I love trying new things!

Related Posts with Thumbnails