Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Dreamy Salad Dressing

orangecilantrodressingonpla

I take my veggies very seriously. Some people feel that a meal isn't a meal without a slab of meat; I feel that a meal isn't a meal without a big portion of vegetables. I have to admit that the prep time involved in washing, chopping, and seasoning vegetables isn't exactly conducive to making them an easy part of one's diet. I prepare my CSA box every Wednesday by pre-washing and chopping everything. And every once in a while, I'll make a batch of homemade dressing to use throughout the week.

orangecilantrodressingonspo

This dressing came about when I was craving an unusual way to dress my veggies. The fresh flavor of the oranges complements the assertiveness of cilantro so well. This salad dressing goes with just about anything. It is wonderful on romaine lettuce, beets, or shredded carrots with some added parsley. We have been eating it all week and every time everyone at the table raves about it.

OrangeCilantrocreamydressin


Cilantro Orange Creamy Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup lowfat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced
2 green onions, chopped 1/4 cup
1 tablespoon apple-cider vinegar
1 tablespoon GF soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 cup chopped orange pieces, peeled and seeds removed
1/2 tablespoon honey


Place all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until well combined. Transfer the dressing into a jar and refrigerate for future use. It will keep for up to one week.



Here are more wonderful salads for you to enjoy:
Cranberry Apple Salad Dressing
Roasted Beet Salad with Creamy Orange Dressing

17 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

What a great idea for a crudite platter (if anyone serves them anymore!), I will make this as a winter dip for veggies.
I LOVE CILANTRO. The smell is intoxicating to me. You either love it or hate it!

Dewi said...

Wow, this dressing sounds delicious Alexa. I am not a fan of creamy dressing, but my son, just love it. So, I'll be making this for him.
Cheers,
Elra

FOODalogue said...

Nice combo of ingredients...should make for a really fresh taste

Anonymous said...

This dressing sounds delicious, and it would be great with beets!

Usha said...

Such an unusual combination of flavors, bet it tasted pretty yum...will give this a try soon !

test it comm said...

This dressing sounds good! I have not done much in the way of homemade dressings though they sound like fun.

Anonymous said...

this sounds fabulous. i have totally wanted to make some delicious and fresh-tasting dressing for my work-day salad but end up rushing around in the morning and throw some O&V on it instead. this is inspired!

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

This dressing looks fantastic. Love the flavour combination!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I feel the same way, Alexa - a meal just isn't a meal without a generous portion of colorful, DELECTABLE vegetables - yum!! :-)


Love the dressing too!!



**Just as a heads up: I will not be able to comment on blogs as often now, during this semester, due to work overload (I'm stressed already) - PLEASE know that I'm still loyally reading, but just won't have time to comment. I hope you understand!!

Susan @ SGCC said...

That dressing really does look dreamy.....and delicious! I've got to try it.

Fitness Foodie said...

Wow that looks and sounds like an amazing dressing. My favorite is creamy poppy seed, but this might certainly replace it. Thanks.

Mary Ann said...

This dressing looks creamy and dreamy. I could use something delicious to spruce up my veggies. The roasted beet salad is sounding pretty great too. Yummy.

Anonymous said...

Loved this dressing - we made it last night and it gave our same old salad such a new, nice fresh taste! thank you-
Jamie aka gluten free mom

Marysol said...

Alexa, I had a citrus-y salad last night. Wish I would've seen your dressing earlier, as it sounds so wonderful.

axel g said...

I love to prepare salads!

The fresh orange juice and zest make a world of difference.

Nice recipe!

Anonymous said...

it looks great, but I'm searching for alternatives to mayonaise, as its really unhealthy.

Alexa said...

Anonymous,
You're right that store-bought mayo is quite unhealthy--a homemade one is much better.
If that still does not fit your dietary needs, You might want to try to make the salad dressing by replacing the mayo with 1/4 cup of olive oil. Blend according to the recipe. Taste and then adjust by adding a little more if you feel it needs it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails