Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Quick and Delicious Chicken

easyweekdaychickenslices2

Happy Inauguration Day!

Yesterday was Martin Luther King day and a national day of service. In the past, my eldest son has volunteered in homeless shelters or helped rebuild trails for the community. This year we decided to mark the occasion as a family by purchasing foods to donate to our local shelter. The kids each contributed some of their piggy-bank savings. We purchased a nutritious collection of non-perishables. Unfortunately our efforts came to an anti-climactic conclusion: the shelter was closed! We'll just have to go back during the week.


And now, on with the recipe... the number one complaint that people have when it comes to chicken breasts is that they are flavorless and too dry. This cooking method traps in the moisture and coats every bite with delicious spices. The chicken is first flattened with a mallet which tenderizes the meat and allows for even cooking. Then a simple mixture of flour and spices coats the chicken breast before it is cooked on high heat. The result is a delicious main dish: flavorful chicken crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

easyweekdaychickenbreasts


Delicious Weekday Chicken
I like to use chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean flour) because it's a staple in my pantry and I love its taste. However, if you are not concerned about gluten, you can always use all-purpose instead.

2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/3" thickness
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp sea salt
Olive oil for frying pan

Mix the flour, turmeric, garlic, paprika, and sea salt in a bowl together. Coat the chicken breasts thoroughly with the mixture.

Place a thick-bottom pan coated with olive oil on medium-high heat. Place the chicken breasts in the hot pan without overcrowding-- work in batches if necessary. When the underside is nice and golden, flip to the other side. Cook until a meat thermometer registers 160F. Let the meat rest 5-10 minutes before serving.

easyweekdaychickenslices

Artsy-Foodie's Tip: This recipe makes great leftovers the next day. Cut what's left into bite size pieces and combine it with some shredded cabbage, peas, green onions and a homemade asian dressing for a delicious chinese chicken salad. Or, you can mix it in with your favorite rice pasta and some sauce for a quick dinner the next day. I love dishes that make my life easier the next day!

11 comments:

Dewi said...

Judging from the ingredients and the instruction, yes this got to be delicious, and quick to make.
Cheers,
Elra

Anne Stesney said...

I've never used chickpea flour before and noticed it at my food coop this week. Seems like it would have a nice flavor. I can't wait to try it.

These look so good. The coating kinda remind me of beer battered fish. Mmmmmm.

Deeba PAB said...

Yes...it sounds just right. Quick & delicious, moist too. I love it that there is no egg in the batter/topping. Cornmeal is new to me, but am sure will give this an edge!

test it comm said...

Nice looking chicken! I have not used chickpea flour before. I will have to see if I can find some.

Anonymous said...

This chicken is now one of the reasons I love you!
Looks delish, easy and versatile and I'm definitely trying it out!

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Now that is some good looking chicken! Very nice!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

The chicken looks delicious and I like the idea of chickpea flour rather than the "usual" version--I never would have thought of it!

Anonymous said...

I just saw this on FoodieView, and it looks delicious! The chickpea flour and turmeric sound great.

Rico said...

quick and delicious chicken I say looks amazing and so tender too...awesome flavour well done :) xx Rico-Recipes

Anonymous said...

food is so simple yet your pictures make it look absolutely divine :D

My Taste Heaven said...

cool, great recipe. the chicken really makes me hungry now!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails