Thursday, January 8, 2009

A New Twist on Corn Muffins

pumpkin corn muffins

This muffin recipe is a new twist on an old favorite. Cornbread enjoys quite a following of loyal fans. As much as I enjoy a slice occasionally, I don't usually go out of my way to eat it. But it seemed like the perfect accompaniment for the vegetable soup I was making. A few tries yielded these savory muffins.

pumpkin corn inside

The addition of the cheese makes them very satisfying. All you'll have to do is add a bowl of steaming soup for a truly memorable winter meal.

pumpkin cornmeal muffin


Pumpkin Cornmeal Muffins (makes 12)
If you are not concerned about gluten, substitute the brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and xantham gum for 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour instead.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cup soymilk or regular milk
1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup egg whites

3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 teaspoon xantham gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 cup shredded cheese (such mexican blend or mild cheddar)
1 1/2 teaspoons finely diced jalapeno peppers (optional)


Preheat oven 375F.
Oil muffin pan
Mix all the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
Mix the next 7 (cornmeal-salt) in a larger one.
Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix until almost combined. Add the cheese and, if using, the jalapeno pepper. Mix until combined and divide the batter equally in the pan. Bake for 20 minutes or longer (check with a toothpick to see if they are done-- toothpick should come out clean).


pumpkin corn muffin close-up

Here are some great soups to pair up with these muffins:
Butternut Squash and Lima Bean Soup
Creamy Black Lentil Soup with Kale

15 comments:

FOODalogue said...

Great ideas and photos. I'll have the muffin for breakfast and the tuna pattie for lunch!

Stacey Snacks said...

we both have muffins today!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Looove the pumpkin twist!!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I have never tried this type of muffins before, only the sweet type, but you had me with the notion of enjoying them with soup.

CDM said...

I was just asking my husband if he would be in the mood for chili and cornbread. I love the pumpkin twist! I can't wait to try these next week.

Dewi said...

Look scrumptious Alexa. I never used Agave nectar before. Sounds pretty intriguing.
Cheers,
Elra

Usha said...

Loved the idea of adding pumpkin puree to the corn muffin, looks delicious :-)

Anonymous said...

There is a restaurant in Chicago called Heaven on Seven that made THE BEST jalapeno corn muffins. My office used to be two blocks from there and I would often accessorize my lunch with that muffin.

They cut theirs square though and I didn't even mind paying the $3.50 per muffin they were that good!

I'll have to give these a try!

RecipeGirl said...

These do sound like a wonderful combination. I made a pumpkin cornbread not too long ago that was very good too. I just love your photos :)

Sophie said...

Soup and muffins-the perfect pair. I've never thought of combining corn bread and pumpkin! Very clever :).

Marysol said...

Give me some!
Corn muffins I've had many; pumpkin corn muffins, none.
I think it's time I break away from the norm.

Anne Stesney said...

Mmmm. I made corn muffins for the first time last night and they were a tad lacking. Wish I had this recipe. Cheese! Of course! Like the idea of pumpkin too. They would've gone great with our chili.

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Oh wow, those muffins look FANTASTIC! Would go perfect with a big bowl of steaming soup. :)

Anonymous said...

I love corn muffins and the addition of cheese is a great idea. I made some similar ones about a year ago and someone suggested putting in finely chopped green pepper.

Anonymous said...

These look very intriguing! I just might have to try them- thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails