Thursday, January 15, 2009

Something Different: Tangerine Pudding

tangerinepuddingtableau

This dessert is an exercise in patience. Each piece of tangerine is lovingly peeled, seeded and freed of its fibrous coat before it can go for a swim in this creamy honey flavored pudding. If you are in the mood for something different, not chocolaty, this velvety cream fits the bill. It makes great use of seasonal tangerines.

tangerinepuddingupclose

I made it on a rainy weekend, singing along to my favorite french CD. Somehow, I didn't mind the prep-work so much; it was almost relaxing. I am not sure I would want to tackle it on a busy weekday, but it's a really nice treat for a lazy day when you a craving something creamy and different.

tangerinepuddinginjar


Tangerine Honey Pudding

1/4 cup cornstarch
1 pinch sea salt (1/8 teaspoon)
4 cups of lowfat milk or soymilk
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon honey
1/2 tablespoon tangerine zest
2 cups chopped tangerines, seeded, skinned, membranes removed

Combine cornstarch, salt in medium heavy bottom pot. You will need to mix constantly. Turn on the heat to medium and slowly, mixing energetically, pour in the milk. When the liquid mixture is warm, add the honey and zest. The mixture will thicken and boil. Don't forget to keep mixing while it boils for about three more minutes or so: you are looking for an almost pudding like consistency because it will thicken some more as it cools. Turn off the heat and let cool, mixing every five minutes. Add the tangerine pieces and transfer to a glass bowl or storage jar and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

tangerinepudding

20 comments:

Fitness Foodie said...

this is my type of pudding, filled with yummy fruit. great idea.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmmm, lovely! I do like a fruity dessert, although I think you have the patience of a saint to prepare all those segments :D

Anne Stesney said...

So pretty. Both in prep and in the jar. Seems like a nice thing to make for someone. If you weren't across the ocean, that would be a hint.

Susan @ SGCC said...

I love this! It looks so pretty! I can imagine how great it tastes too.

Dewi said...

I love any type of pudding, sadly my family can't stand it. I am sure I will like this one too.
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

Definitely different for me.. Thanks for this light dessert recipe :)

Sophie said...

Yummy pudding, the flavors remind me of a warm summer day; it's so unique in the tastiest way :)!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I Love the flavours. I recently tried a milk pudding for the first time. It had cardamom and pistachios in it.

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Alexa, that pudding looks fantastic! I have never used tangerines for anything, but this pudding looks like it would be worth the extra prep time!

Robin said...

I am such a big pudding fan! This recipe looks refreshing and reminds me of sunshine! I have to ask- What is your favorite French CD? I have been cooking to the Mamma Mia! Sound track. Sometimes I cook to Mob Hits an Italian swooners CD. Music makes cooking so much fun!

Alexa said...

Parker,
Fruit makes everything so good...

Holler,
I am not a saint very often... maybe once a year :-)

Elra,
There are foods that I don't make very often because my family is not crazy about them. If you were closer I'd make you some. :-)

Anne,
Not across an ocean... just across the country.:-)
Want to come over for some pudding?

Sticky,
So glad you liked it!

Jude,
It was different for me too... I have never made anything like this before.

Sophie,
Thank you. Your comments are always so kind!

Syrie,
Cardamom and pistachios in pudding sounds delicious... I am intrigued.

Jeanine,
My family loves creamy desserts so I thought this would be worth a try. I am happy you liked the recipe.

Robin Sue,

Francis Cabrel is my favorite. I am hopeless lover of poetry and his lyrics are so moving, plus the melodies are beautiful as well. My mom is sweet enough to send me his new CDs as they come out in France.
I am with you... good music is a must in the kitchen.:-)

Mary Ann said...

How lovely. I wish I had a day in the kitchen when I could just work alongside you and listen to your favorite french cd. What a wonderful seasonal dessert.

Deeba PAB said...

WOW Alexa, love the pudding. The CD makes life bette,r doesn't it? I've been putting tangerines to crystallised use so far, & marmalade. Looks like I need to go furthe & make this pudding! Looks so nice & creamy.

Maggie said...

I love the idea of chunks of fruit in this!! I just made a citrus pudding for tarts and that would have made it even better.

Stephanie said...

I´ve wondered what "tangerine" means (in German) for ages! It´s been one of my favourite Led Zeppelin songs. Thanks to you, I finally overcame my lazyness and looked it up on the dictionary ;-) this dessert sounds so fresh and yummi. Honey is great with fruits, but I never saw it with tangerines before, and as a pudding! I have to overcome the post-new-year-kitchen-lazyness and try it.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. Anytime there is zest in something I have to consider making it.

--Marc

Marysol said...

Funny, I'm craving that right now; I'll have to shop for tangerines, but, I have a feeling it'll be worth it.

test it comm said...

That looks nice and cool and refreshing and good!

Usha said...

Love this pudding, looks so creamy and yum :-)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love tangerine flavoured things! But never had it in a kind of pudding like this, sounds very yum actually!

Related Posts with Thumbnails