Thursday, July 3, 2008

Breakfast is Served




I am one of those people who goes to sleep longingly thinking about how wonderful breakfast will be. As I am saying goodbye to yet another day, the smell of fresh brewed coffee is alive and real in my mind. I think it's fair to say that there are two types of people in the world: the ones that dream up their breakfast while falling asleep the night before and the ones who could skip breakfast all together. Which one are you?

Baked goods have always been a big part of my life. I went straight from formula to Baguettes and Croissants. Overtime, my repertoire and nutritional knowledge increased and as a result I turned to whole-grains. So when I recently found out my health required me to erase wheat from my diet, it took some playtime to make it work for me. The strange fact is that I don't miss wheat at all. I am still puzzled as to how something so important to me could be so irrelevant now. This restriction has propelled me into a creative adventure, and in there lies my salvation: I enjoy a good challenge-- especially when it involves food.

Banana Chocolate Mini Muffins (makes about 21 mini-muffins or 12 regular)

Those muffins are delightful for a snack or breakfast. I make them once week. The almond meal gives them a feathery, delicate taste and the banana is not too overpowering. The flours used are Gluten-Free but it's always a good idea to check the ingredient list on the other components as well.

Oven
Preheat over 375F

In one bowl combine with a whisk:
1 cup Sorghum Flour
1/2 cup of Brown Rice Flour
1/2 cup of White Rice Flour
1/2 cup of Tapioca Flour
1/2 cup of Almond Meal
2 tsp of Baking Powder
1/4 tsp of Salt

In another bowl mix well:
1/4 cup of Canola Oil
4 oz of Unsweetened Applesauce
1 Large Egg
1/3 cup of Egg White (or another Whole Egg)
1/3 cup of Brown Rice Syrup (Or Agave Nectar or Honey)
1/4 cup of Vanilla Soy Milk or Regular Milk
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
2 large very ripe Bananas, mashed to a smooth paste

Measure:
1/2 cup of chocolate chips

Combine the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until barely combined. Add the reserved chocolate chips. Divide the batter into pre-oiled muffin pans. I used two regular muffin pans and filled the cups half the usual amount which yielded 21 mini-muffins. If you would rather have normal size muffins, fill a 12 muffin pan with the batter instead.
Bake for 20-30 minutes (depends on oven), checking after 20 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the center of muffin. It should come out clean.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails