Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Kohlrabi, Broccoli Salad




Every once in a while you fall in love... And sometimes it's with a vegetable. Kohlrabi was a stranger to me a couple months ago until it started appearing in my CSA box. It visits me regularly, to my delight, and leaves transformed. Where did this vegetable come from? From the cabbage family, full of vitamins in all its purple glory. The outer part is quite tough, but once you free it of its coat this bulb is just scrumptious. It taste a lot like broccoli, except the texture is that of a radish. After your taste-buds adjust to the confusion of not knowing what to make of it, you'll enjoy its crunchiness and slightly sweet flavor. I eat it raw, cut up into sticks with some hummus or shredded in salads. Either way, it's love in every bite.

Kohlrabi, Broccoli Salad (serves 4 to 6)

In a bowl combine:
2 cups of shredded kohlrabi (about 2 bulbs)
1 cup of shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)
2 cups of small raw broccoli florets (1 head)
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
1 cup of heirloom, colorful, cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds

For the dressing:
In a jar with a lid combine:

2 tablespoon of tahini
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 clove of garlic, passed through a garlic press
3 tablespoons of orange juice
1 teaspoon of sea salt

Close jar. Give a good shake and pour over the salad. Mix well, check for salt, and adjust to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This salad keeps well for leftovers the next day.

5 comments:

Is it Me? said...

Hi Alexa,
Tanks again for your comments.
Kohlrabi is very popular in Germany, you find it on every supermarket shelf. We eat it raw, but I have grated it for salads. There are a lot of ways to cook it and I'm just starting to experiment with it. Having to eat gluten free makes me more adventurous.
I'm going to try those Raspberry Muffins, they sound delicious!
Peta

Alexa said...

Hi Peta,
I'll have to explore cooking with it. I've been too busy enjoying it raw.
Hope you enjoy the muffins.

Mary Ann said...

Alexa, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I have always wondered what exactly kohlrabi tastes like. I might have to try it out!

test it comm said...

I have not tried kohlrabi yet but it sounds interesting. The salad looks good.

Helene said...

I love shredded kohlrai shredded with a simple mustard vinaigrtee but this takes the broccoli salad to a whole new level!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails