Monday, July 14, 2008

Wonderful Millet





































I have discovered the joys of millet. Staring into my pantry, uninspired by our dinner options, my eyes shifted towards the large bag of organic millet I purchased a while back. I normally use it to add to my breads when I am looking for some crunch
but now that I have tasted the Cool-Aid, or millet in this case, and I am sold on the many possibilities that this little grain possesses.

Birds have had a monopoly on it for too long and I, for one, am ready to reclaim it as my pet grain. It is easy to prepare:
1 cup of the grain requires, 6 cups of water some heat and 45-50 minutes later you have a beautiful polenta like mixture.
You cook it like you would rice really--
I started by adding 1 teaspoon and a half of olive oil to my hot pot, then I added the grain. I waited until it was nice and toasty (popping sounds and fragrant smell) then added my water (you could do chicken broth instead). I brought it to a boil and covered it. It simmered for about 50 minutes (you might want to stir a few times during cooking so it does not stick to the bottom). Once it was cooked perfectly, I poured it into a strainer to remove any excess water. I plated it, salted it, added some good olive oil and finished with some cilantro for color and flavor (shown above with black beans and a swiss chard salad). It was the perfect consistency, creaminess, richness and dreaminess. I am on a quest now to explore the many possibilities of my new favorite grain (sorry Quinoa and Teff-- I promise to come back to you eventually).

2 comments:

Is it Me? said...

I have never thought of eating millet, I'm going to try it because I'm always looking for something different, the gluten free diet gets a little boring sometimes.
Peta

Alexa said...

Hi Peta,

I can't wait to hear what you think when you try it. I can pass along some more recipes for it if you need. Just let me know.:-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails