Wednesday, July 2, 2008

From the Farm to my Table


We spent the day at our CSA yesterday. It was so beautiful and relaxing. The kids got the scoop on how things get done in the barn, a hay ride and the pleasure of fresh strawberries still warm from the sun.
I love getting this bounty of veggies every week: the colors, the smells and the taste of it all. This week lot was fresh spinach, beets, radishes, salad greens, turnips, cilantro, broccoli, artichokes, and snap peas. We snacked on the peas right away, focusing on their sweetness, the perfect crunch and how lucky we were to experience such delight. One of my daughters exclaimed: "These are so sweet, we should give those out on Halloween!" Won't we be the most popular house on the block...

Once we were back at home, I started to prepare my treasures for immediate use and food storage. It takes me about two hours every time to sort, wash, and prep our share for the week. I don't mind though and I have grown to enjoy the moment. This ritual is a wonderful therapy-- the perfect communion between myself and the food I feed my family.

Last night we feasted on:
Beet Salad, with Beet Greens and Walnut Sauce
Radish, Goat Milk Feta Salad with Olives and Parsley
Roasted Garlic Broccoli
Pickled Red Onions
Coarse Sea Salt, to taste

We all marveled as the conversation flowed freely around the food, our day, and the firework of flavors painting our plates. It was a perfect ending to an even more perfect day.



Radish Feta Salad with Olives and Parsley

This salad is wonderful: the embodiment of Summer. The cheese and dressing mellow out the spiciness of the radishes. You'll still feel a hint of it but it's delightfully balanced by the creaminess of the Feta.

1 1/2 cups of thinly sliced radishes
1/4 cup of goat (cow is fine too) Feta cheese
1/4 cup of slices Kalamata olives
1/2 cup of finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoon of high quality olive oil

Place the radishes in a medium size bowl
Crumble the Feta on top
Add the olives and parsley
Sprinkle the lemon juice directly on top, then the olive oil
Salt to taste.
Mix well to combine and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alexa,

I really like your take on this simple and beautiful salad. I enjoy very fresh ingredients and this preparation centered around radishes with a Greek influence looks good. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Alexa said...

To chefectomy:

I'm glad you liked it. It's definitely a winner if you're looking for a refreshing salad. I might try to make it with mint next time instead or cilantro...
Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alexa,

I made this last night and served it with a roasted chicken for a July 4th picnic - Rave reviews on the salad!

Alexa said...

Hi Marc,

I appreciate the feedback on the salad. Sounds like you had a nice and tasty 4th of July.:-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails