Thursday, July 17, 2008

Tarte Tatin meets Blueberry-Almond Cake




Ever had an epiphany? The kids and I went blueberry picking. It's the beginning of the season and the berries were a bit tart. We pondered on what we should do with them. Ideas were thrown out: pie, pancakes or muffins and then my mind gravitated towards: blueberries-almonds, almonds-blueberries-hmmm... The marriage of the two seemed perfect.

Deborah Madison (I bow to her in my kitchen-I love her books and recipes-other deep bow), author of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, makes an amazingly delicious Almond-Pear Upside Down Cake. I turned to her for my recipe guidelines, altering it for my dietary requirements. The result was perfection in every bite-- tender, moist cake, crowned with caramelized blueberries. What is your favorite way to savor blueberries?

7 comments:

Helene said...

Now that is a brilliant idea!! I just have loads of blueberries in the freezer and never enough recipes to use them with. Love it!

Is it Me? said...

Hello Alexia
I love Blueberries and here in Germany they are everywhere at the moment, I love them in rice porridge with a big spoon of yogurt, or I even toss them through my salad as well as walnuts and sheep's feta cheese, sounds a bit weird but is actually yummy.
regards Peta

Is it Me? said...

Alexa, I'm sorry just realized I made a mistake spelling your name, I have a friend whose name is Alexia so typing it like that has become a habit.
Peta

Alexa said...

Answers to comments:

Tartelette,
Thank you for your visit. I am glad you like this idea. I can't get your cardamon mousse strawberry tart out of my mind. I am going to have to do something about that... Perhaps today is the day.
Passes un bon weekend!



Hi Peta,
Blueberries and blackberries are everywhere here too. The blackberries are late this year due to our stolen Spring. We went straight from a long Winter to Summer. I am going berry picking today so I'll be posting more berry dishes soon.
Your salad sounds really good to me. I made one similar this week but with white peach slices. I love combining fruits with Feta and nuts in my salad. I'll have to try it with blueberries next time.

Don't worry about the name typo. I completely understand how those things happen.:-)

Stephanie said...

Oh, blueberries, how nice! And the cake looks so very good. I´m always looking for blueberry recipes, and it seems a good idea to combine the berries with almonds. There still is a box of blueberries waiting for me in the fridge...

Anonymous said...

That sounds great! My first time trying tarte tatin was in Paris; I have very fond memories. Blueberries are in season here in Virginia so maybe I will try this.

test it comm said...

That looks so good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails