Thursday, July 31, 2008

Candied Orange Muffins with Rosemary

Candied Orange Muffins with Rosemary


Now that I'm left with quite a few candied orange sticks in the house, I have to find clever ways to use them in my cooking. The kids and I feasted on a few plain ones, and then had some more dipped in chocolate. It was all nice, until the sugar buzz kicked in and I started running laps around the kitchen. My children were quite entertained by their mother's unusual twitchy high. They miraculously seemed immune to the effect it was having on me, and I had to wonder if their tolerance is not a sign of how poorly I monitor their sweet tooth. I am of the philosophy that taking it away only makes them crave it more and I refuse to be the food police. What I do is provide ample healthy choices, nutritional information, as well as alternatives and most of the time they make the right choices. Anyway, back to the candied orange sticks... I decided that a good way to start the day would be by baking a fresh batch of muffins. There is something delightful about the combination of rosemary and oranges. It's like two friends getting together after a long time living apart and picking up right where they left off: compatibility in every bite.

Candied Orange Muffin Top


Candied Orange Muffins with Rosemary (makes 12)

Here's a great way to use up the candied orange sticks you've made, or bought.
Those muffins are delicious, sweet and so moist. If you are not concerned about wheat-free, gluten-free requirements feel free to substitute the funky flours for 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all purpose, omit the xantham gum and continue as indicated with the baking powder and salt. However, if you like to experiment with new products the combination of those unusual flours might just delight you.

close-up candied orange muffins

Preheat oven 375F


In one bowl put the following wet ingredients and mix well:
Juice and Zest of 1 orange
1 cup vanilla soy milk or regular milk
1 tablespoon of roasted almond oil or regular vegetable oil
1 egg
4 oz of unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 cup of agave nectar
1/2 cup of candied oranges, chopped


Reserve:
12 1/2 inch pieces of candied orange


In another bowl combine and mix well:
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup of teff flour
1/2 cup of sorghum flour
2 teaspoon of xantham gum
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix. Divide into pre-oiled muffin pan. Top each muffin with an 1/2 inch piece of candied orange. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through (knife inserted in the center of muffin should come out dry).

11 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, yum! I've made lemon-rosemary cake but haven't paired it with orange yet. And candied orange sounds super sweet! Glad to see that you use soy milk too.

rachel said...

Wow! what a creative recipe. I aslo agree with you about the food police stuff, however I'm having a hard time finding a balance for my kids, as I have such a raging sweet tooth.

Alexa said...

Susan,
Lemon rosemary cake sounds wonderful as well... Something else for me to try. Thanks!

Rachel,
It's a hard balance to achieve when you want to set a good example for your kids and yet you crave what you crave. I think we all struggle with it. Some days are better than others... I just want my kids to see the beauty in food and the joy that preparing it can bring. I also want to give them the gift of exploration and open-mindedness and food is a great vehicle for that.

Anonymous said...

Total double take on the dry ingredients. I really enjoy this dimension of your work. Love the orange peel in this, very kid friendly.

--Marc

Anonymous said...

This recipe has so many unique elements. Mmmmm!

cindy* said...

these look so good! i bet it made your house smell festive...almost like the holidays with the rosemary and orange aromas.

Alexa said...

Marc,
You are right. My kids love them.

Kristen,
Thanks for your visit

Cindy,
The house did smell wonderful for the rest of day. It's the treat that keeps on giving...

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Ah, this recipe makes me giddy! :) They look so good AND they are gluten free! BONUS!! Hmm...no almond meal or teff flour in the house at the moment, I need to go shopping! :)

Alexa said...

Jeanine,
You can probably use any gluten-free flour mix you have on hand. I am big on replacing. If it works out it's a new recipe that's been created and if it doesn't I learn a little something in the process.:-)

Patricia Scarpin said...

These look so wonderful. I love candied orange peel but haven't been brave enough to make them at home.
I would love these muffins right now!

Alexa said...

Patricia,
I was a little intimidated at the idea of making them but it was a breeze in the end. I highly recommend it.:-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails